Friday, December 10, 2010

Goats wearing cardigans!

Everyone's favorite topic of conversation right now in Delhi is the chilly weather. Men are donning sparkly (!) sweater vests and women are bundling layers of sweaters on top of saris and salwar kameez suits. This week I saw my favorite example of protection against the cold in Sangam Vihar--one of New Delhi's largest and oldest unauthorized neighborhoods--where I've been collecting data for my study on fruit and vegetable purchasing habits and preferences. Among dilapidated roads and smells that testify to the sewage and drinking water crisis in Sangam Vihar, I was amused to see dozens of goats looking grandmotherly in cardigans and sweaters. Almost every goat had one!

A young man walks his sweatered goat in Sangam Vihar. I tried to shoot a picture of this particular goat with his front legs up on a store counter, looking too human for comfort!

No comments:

Post a Comment